Choosing Accommodations That Fit Individual Needs: Strengths and Needs Self-Assessment Worksheet
Assess Your Strengths and Challenges:
Think about the kinds of activities you will be doing in your higher education program. Then think about the kinds of strengths you have to do those activities well and also the kinds of challenges you will need to think about to determine what accommodations you may need.
Instructions: The next section includes six skill categories of activities that are typical in a higher education setting. Print this webpage. For each of the skills listed, circle the number that best matches your rating for each item:
5 = a strength | 3 = neutral | 1 = a challenge
1. Academics: Think about areas of basic school work skills that every student needs to be successful.
|a. Completing word problems||5||4||3||2||1|
|a. Grammar and spelling||5||4||3||2||1|
|b. Composition and writing style||5||4||3||2||1|
2. Classroom Participation: Think about skills every student needs to get the most out of participation in a typical class (for example, group lectures, small group discussions, lab activities).
|Classroom Participation Skills||Strength||Neutral||Challenge|
|Paying attention to instructor||5||4||3||2||1|
|Reading visual aids||5||4||3||2||1|
|Participating in discussions||5||4||3||2||1|
3. Test Taking: Think about skills every student needs to show teachers what they have learned in a class.
|Test Taking Skills||Strength||Neutral||Challenge|
|Working under a time limit||5||4||3||2||1|
|Taking multiple-choice tests||5||4||3||2||1|
|Writing test essays||5||4||3||2||1|
|Dealing with test anxiety||5||4||3||2||1|
|Remembering course information||5||4||3||2||1|
4. Homework: Think about skills every student needs to study effectively and complete homework assignments.
|Organizing your study space||5||4||3||2||1|
|Doing library research||5||4||3||2||1|
|Completing writing assignments||5||4||3||2||1|
|Completing worksheets or lab reports||5||4||3||2||1|
5. Campus Accessibility and Mobility: Think about areas of the campus every student needs to access and use to have a successful academic and social life.
|Campus Accessibility and Mobility Skills||Strength||Neutral||Challenge|
|Finding your way around the campus and residential areas||5||4||3||2||1|
|Accessing classrooms, dorms, unions, libraries||5||4||3||2||1|
|Accessing campus and classroom materials||5||4||3||2||1|
6. Social/Self-Advocacy with Peers and Professors: Think about the social skills every student needs to have a successful academic and social life.
|Social/Self-Advocacy Skills with Peers and Professors||Strength||Neutral||Challenge|
|Participating well with other students in discussions or group assignments||5||4||3||2||1|
|Explaining your needs and accommodations confidently||5||4||3||2||1|
|Speaking up for your rights||5||4||3||2||1|